?? Is your pet the cutest, scariest or silliest in his or her costume?…
Most pet parents have heard how important exercise is for their furry companion’s overall health. Exercise helps prevent obesity, keeps pets stimulated to ward off destructive behavior, strengthens bones, and improves circulation. For dogs, it’s easy. From daily walks, to games of fetch, to agility classes, there are a lot of obvious options for making sure a dog gets enough activity. But, how do you get a cat to exercise?
Below are five ways to ensure your cat is getting a healthy amount of activity:
1. Set up play dates: If you have friends or family members with feline companions, set up a date! You can catch up with your buddy while the kitties have fun running and playing together. It’s a win-win situation for everyone!
2. Invest in a cat tree: A cat tree is a great way to encourage climbing for indoor cats.
3. Purchase a cat treat puzzle: These types of toys are specially designed to stimulate your cat mentally and physically. Put low-calorie cat treats inside to make sure you’re not ruining all that activity with too many calories!
4. Use interactive toys: Choosing cat toys that allow you to participate with your kitty (i.e. sticks with feathers, balls, laser pointers) is a good way to encourage exercise. Plus, you get to spend some quality time together!
5. Leave out paper bags or boxes: If you’re looking for a free way to encourage some activity, just leave out a few cardboard boxes and paper bags around your home. Most cats love playing with these items.
If your cat has any health issues, it’s a good idea to speak with a vet before beginning a new exercise program.
by VetDepot on February 28, 2014